Tuesday, December 8, 2015

TAKE A STEP BACK... AND REMEMBER WHY YOU WRITE

Everyone who has ever published anything goes through this little bump in the road. There's no denying it.

What bump in the road am I talking about? Oh, you know the one where your book isn't selling quite as well as you want it to and you start questioning your entire life's decisions and wondering where you're gonna be in ten point seven years.

That one.

I've actually recently been going through this (for the past couple days, to be exact) and finally, while watching Saturday Night Live (featuring the sexy Ryan Gosling) I realized that I just need to take a step back and practice what I preach.

On Twitter I go on and on about how amazing it is to be a Writer, and how you shouldn't care about the sales and that you should just write to... well, write! And here I am, moping around the house in pjs, doing the exact opposite. Talk about hypocritical.

And that's where this blog post comes in. (And I'm not just telling you guys, I'm telling myself).

When you feel like giving up, or you feel like you've accomplished nothing in your writing career... just take a step back and remember why you write.

No one starts writing for the money or the fame and if they do... Well, good luck with that. No, more often than not people start writing because that is what they are born to do, because we like it. More often than not, we decide to publish our novels to share our stories with the world! Not to make bank and become the next JK Rowling (though that would be seriously awesome).

For example, let's say you're writing your book and you have the sudden urge to stop because no, no! this wont sell!

Just stop. Close your laptop. Close your eyes. Take a deep breath... and remember what brought this story to you. Why you wanted to write it in the first place. Why you started writing in the first place.

This helps. I promise.

Write because you love it. Write because you have a story to tell. Write because you want to share your story. Not because you want to make money. And DO NOT give up a story because you don't think it will sell well.

Now, if you'll all excuse me. I'm going to go eat spaghetti and watch Barbie's Christmas Carol.

-MC

No comments:

Post a Comment